Sunday, March 2, 2008

Bridge to Terabithia



When I was a kid, I loved to read "Bridge to Terabithia", (see a previous post). Anyway, one of the great parts about being a teacher is that I get to remain connected to some of these books that I would have probably forgotten long ago. This weekend one of my students invited me to see her in the stage version of this book. This book was recently made into a movie, but I had no idea that it was made not only into a play, but a MUSICAL. ANYWAY, I took my dad to the show, since I knew he had also read the book and enjoyed the movie, and we were both expecting to see a rather amateuristic (is that a word?) show. How pleasantly surprised we were to arrive at a great little performing arts center and see an amazingly well-done musical by a children's theater company.
I have some experience with middle-schoolers and musicals, and I really have never heard a 13-year-old, pubescent boy sing remotely in tune or with rhythm, so it was with awe that I watched the the leads in this play sing like little American Idols. They were really, really fantastic.
I'm so glad I went; and so disappointed in myself for crying in a play where I was fully aware of the ending. That "Terabithia" gets me everytime!

1 comment:

lawtrix said...

So no gay rape scene?

Good Times