When we moved out here I was a little worried about finding fun things to do. We don't live completely in the middle of nowhere, but I didn't figure there would be such a wealth of things for kids to do. Rowen began his run of fun activities by going trick-or-treating for the first time on Halloween. Okay, the trick-or-treating was not an activity exclusive to the desert dwellers, but it was still local and fun.
We visited the neighborhood fire station where Row could see the huge, red trucks up close; but more importantly he could touch the wheels and exclaim, "Ohhhhhhhh!" As for me, I got to see the firemen up close... a win for everyone ;-)
We also paid a visit to the local train museum where we spent a "Day Out with Thomas". That's Thomas, as in Thomas the Tank Engine. Rowen loves trains (along with anything on wheels that moves) so this was a perfect day out for all of us. Rowen got to run crazy, climb on tractors, push buttons, run through a maze, watch Bob the Builder put on a show, and take a ride on a real train (a commuter train from the 1960's). The train was pulled by a life size Thomas. It was actually quite cute. I expected some kind of lame imitation or facade for the Thomas train, but as far as I could see it was an actual engine painted blue and equipped with the Thomas face. Rowen was half asleep by the time we got a good look at Thomas, but I enjoyed it.
If you ever make it out to the desert, I'll be happy to take you the train museum so you can experience it yourself. Thomas isn't always there, and I suspect that on other days the museum will be much less crowded. It was a great day out for all of us! Thanks grandma for watching the newspaper and discovering both of these events. Next stop, Camp Snoopy.


No comments:
Post a Comment