What a month it has been! We have enjoyed lots and lots of fun, and a little bit of misery.
In the "fun" category:
1. To celebrate the Thanksgiving holiday, I took Row on a road trip to Phoenix. We had a great time and a HUGE thank you to Nathan who watched the kids and changed dirty diapers so that we could do some shopping. It had been a very, very long time that I had been to the mall to shop without a stroller and diaper bag. I forgot how fun shopping could be when you are not worrying about little hands touching and potentially breaking everything. We drove all by ourselves this time. Row didn't sleep quite as much as I'd hoped, so we sang the ABCs over and over again, and when that didn't work, Row watched "Yo Gaba Gaba" from my iphone the rest of the trip. The best part of this trip was the price of gas!! It made the road trip worth it again.
2. When we returned from Arizona, cousin Soren and his mom and dad came to visit us of for the actual Thanksgiving holiday. We had everyone over to the house for Thanksgiving for our first (and only) meal on our new (inherited) dining room table. I was surprised at how much I liked having everyone around and shocked at how much work it was to cook and clean-up dinner. Keep in mind and I had a lot of help and I was still completely exasted. Jon really did most of the cooking, and Darcie even did almost all of the dishes. My hat is officially off to my mom who has cooked and cleaned virtually every holiday meal for the last 40-something years.
3. Just after Christmas we somehow ended up purchasing a year-long pass to our local Lawrence Welk Resort. I know how it sounds, but it is actually a beautiful place and we have full use of the facilities, pools, waterslides, clubhouses, and all the other resorty stuff. I'll post more about this later. It really needs its own post.
4. We also made our way to the San Diego Wild Animal Park for a day of fun. Cousin Soren and his parents met up with us at the park, and we had a guest appearance from my brother who was visiting from Salt Lake for a couple of days.
Misery Category
All of the holiday fun left Rowen with an ear infection; actually a double ear infection. He's never really been sick, so this was a new experience for me. We were up all night with a fever, and ended up watching a lot of Yo Gaba Gaba (again) all through the night. The worst part of this whole situation was that Jon was out of town for a couple of days, and I was getting ready to start teaching in a new program at my same school, but different students. I ended up letting Row sleep in my bed, which worked out well for him, but terrible for me. The next day I took him to the doctor and we were given an antibiotic which seemed to help him feel better right away.
48 hours later
I noticed that Row was starting to look splochy and red, and bumpy. So, he was feeling better, but looking way worse. Apparantly Rowie is allergic to amoxicillian. We had to take him off of the antibiotic and get him a different one which seemed to work quickly. Row was back to his old self in just a few days.
I guess that sums up the holidays. We had a fabulous month (minus the sickness) and can't wait for our next break. I am already planning our next road trip to Arizona; this time it might include the Grand Canyon.


No comments:
Post a Comment