Saturday, September 15, 2007

Ummm... I think that book is overdue.

Moving homes often leads a lot of new beginnings, but if you have as much crap as I do, and desire to get rid of much of it, then it also leads to a lot of sorting, cleaning, discarding, and storing. I try to sort through at least one box a day, but this week I has really been spent on one box... the Junior High Box. Mostly, this box contains a lot of junk and remnant of inside jokes that I have long since forgotten, but as I combed through old notes and pictures this week, I ran into a book. Maybe you've read it, or the hundreds of books just like it.. you know the one; two best friends living out in the countryside somewhere, one shy, one outgoing. For some reason, be it disease, accident, or even murder, the happy-go-lucky kid dies at the end of the story and the shy kid is left to think about how much his life has changed for the better since meeting this now deceased friend. I know this sounds callous, but as a kid, I read ALL of these books. I'm not sure if kid's books are just sad by nature, or if for some reason I was drawn to these books, but it seemed like a minor child died in all of my favorite children's books/novels. ANYWAY, as I was going through this box, I ran into "A Taste of Blackberries." I only write about this because I can't really remember the true story of how I ended up with this book, or why, even in middle school it was some kind of a joke, but I am hoping Jenny does. I think this book was borrowed from the library sometime ago, and for some reason it was never returned. I remember reading it and seeing it in Jenny's green bedroom back in middle school, but now, it sits here on my desk, with a "Due Date" of May 24, 1989. Do you think the Walnut Library is still looking for it?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

I'm cracking up, because even before I read the rest of the post, that title came to my mind. That was THE saddest book I can remember. But now that I'm trying to recall why, I can't. You'll have to bring it for me to look at. I think it was YOU who didn't return it though!

Good Times