
I have a few requirements for the animals that I keep as pets.
1. They must have fur.
2. They must have legs.
3. They must be dogs.
(I've had fish as pets, but truthfully, I'm not a "fish keeper" and I really don't enjoy cleaning the bowl. I don't plan on having fish again.)
The above requirements aside, I never want to see an animal suffer (who does?) and I can't stand the thought of animals being homeless; so our family of four has become a family of five.
While Jon was out at a vacant home today (working, not loitering) he ran across our newest addition... a little, green turtle. The turtle was just standing on the back patio of an abandoned home asking Jon to take him home. There was no water or food in site for a turtle and Jon knew that leaving him there would surely mean his death, so he sent me the picture above and let me know that a new family member would be joining us for dinner.
About an hour later, Jon showed up with his new little friend. We put him in a little storage container with some lettuce and water and watched him eat more than I thought a turtle could eat. It seemed like it had been a while since this little guy had had something to eat.
As I type, Jon has gone to Lowes to pick up some materials to make a little home for our new little friend. He's very attached to this turtle already. The problem is that we know nothing about turtles. Anyone have any advice? How about a name, any suggestions?


2 comments:
How cute, but be very careful with the turtle around Row - they can have salmonella - http://www.babycenter.com/204_pet-turtles-linked-to-rise-in-salmonella-infections_5227415.bc
Definitely don't let him put the turtle in his mouth...
I'll give you the "turtle talk" tomorrow.
Funny that all of my pets 1)Don't have fur
2)I don't have to take it for a walk
3) I don't have to find a sitter for it
4) I don't have to clean up poop
And so.....we have a fish, and a turtle.
As far as names go, I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't put enough thought into our name. I think I would probably name it something like Spot or Fido. Go with humor.
As far as salmonella, just make sure you watch Row, and always wash his hands after touching it.
And try to keep him penned away from Jade. Dogs + turtles = no more turtle. They think it's a toy and will snap at it from what I hear...
Good luck!
Post a Comment